Saturday, January 27, 2007

Bethel Ashram



At about 1 p.m., our van stopped at abusy corner in Kerala (is there any other kidn of corner in Kerala?) and picked up three sisters with the Anglican diocese-supported Bethel Ashram orphanage in Tiruvalla. We drove them an hour to the orphanage in Tiruvalla, passing collor-splashed Hindu festivals, elephants workign in lumber yards and a Christian burial procession, where the body of woman was wrapped in white and carried on a bed of flowers.

We spent the afternoon at the Bethel Ashram. In the tradition of Mother Teresa, an order of sisters who have taken a life-long commitment to raise the girls who show up as infants and young children at the orphanage. It was another stop on our journey of witnessing the healing power of grace. There is only one boy, Jeevain, 2, who was abandoned when he was just 14 days old. He will stay the Bethel Ashram until he is 5, when he will be moved to an orphanage for boys.



Bill tried hard to get Jevain to smile with a game of peek-a-boo. Didn't work. Only his sisters could get him to smile. He hardly left Sister Molly's hip.


The ashram will raise and educate these girls untilt hey are women, when they can decide whether to join the order or enter the world outside.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. I've just found this post, trying to see if the Bethel Ashram had a web page. We came into contact with them after our honeymoon in India in 1989, and one of the sisters, Sister Annamma, came to visit us when she studied in the UK, and stayed with us for several days just before my mother died. We supported the orphanage for a few years - with money for playground equipment, and then, when my mother died, help with building work in her memory. She'd been a children's nurse and health visitor, so it seemed appropriate. It was lovely to see these photos out of the blue. I'll try and find out what Sister Annamma is up to now, and feel a bit ashamed that our support was not more consistent. I wonder how the playground equipment has lasted ...

Unknown said...

I was a student in Bethel Ashramam, Varikkadu. During the year 1975-80.

I have very good experience in this community school.

If any body from this school during these years please contact me.
moncy1@gmail.com

Moncy

Ajex John said...

I studied this school when I was a child .I remember Gracy Kochamma (Hostel warden),and Achamma (Head Teacher)
I still cherish those memmories I had with this school and I remember Rosy Teacher who was very nice to me :)

Unknown said...

I studied there.1998. They beat the hell out of children even for a small mistake. It's like a jail. I was six years old. Sisters were cruel.Senior kids were arrogant and rude. Some of them were Lesbians. They dress up like boys and try to do random shit in front of small kids. After one year i left there. Nuns were such horrible people.